I eat oatmeal most mornings and make it on the stove top. No big deal. Lately though, I've been encouraging my hubby to cut out the cereals with all the sugar, processing and expense. On the mornings he's up before me, we've prepped the crockpot the night before so he can scoop and scarf before heading off to work. There are lots of recipes online, but here's ours.
Kristin's Crockpot Apple Pie Steel Cut Oats * Makes 3-4 servings
- 1 cup steel cut oats (Must be steel cut! Trust me on this, unless you really like wallpaper paste for breakfast)
- 1 apple cut up in small chunks (I do not peel it, because that's where a lot of the fiber is!)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup milk (can be cow, soy, almond, etc)
- 1-2 tablespoons sweetener. (I used honey, but brown sugar, maple syrup or agave would work too)
- pinch of salt (optional)
- good shake of Jamaican all spice
- good shake of cinnamon
- fresh ginger (about a 1/2" cube cut up and then ground in the mortar and pestle)
- 1+ tablespoon butter or margarine or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup raisins
- First off, grease the insides of your crockpot with butter or such.
- assemble your ingredients
- but them all in the crock pot
- set on low
- cook overnight for about 8 hours
- Rise and shine!
- scrap down the sides of the pot and stir
- top with a bit of milk and chopped nuts if desired