So today I'm sharing a simple, free, indoor/outdoor exercise you can do to target those tricep muscles, Here's how to do a tricep dip.
good form = great results!
- Sit on the seat with your hands slightly tucked under hips
- Lengthen your arms and scoot your bum to the front edge of the seat
- Bend the elbows and lower body a few inches to about where your waistband lines up with the edge of the seat, keep shoulders back and down and and pointed backwards
- Push back up to starting position.
- Repeat. The number of reps depends on your ability. Do a few to get you started, then add more to your routine as you get stronger.
Tips for Dips
- Avoid letting your shoulders scrunch up towards your ears as you do the move. Keep your shoulders relaxed down and back, heart lifted
- Keep your hips close to the seat as you lower and lift. Don't push away from the seat.
- Modify to your ability, the move is harder with with legs straight out in front of you, easier with legs bent at a 90* angle.
- Do not go too low with this move. If you feel it in front of your shoulder, you're going too low or not keeping your shoulders back and down.
- If you have any wrist or shoulder problems, skip this exercise. Or talk with a trainer --like me!-- to check your form and show you modifications.
Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, physical therapist or in your living room as you exercise, so proceed at your own risk. If you haven't exercised since junior high you should talk to your healthcare provider before starting this or any exercise routine.