Sandwiches are the first thing that comes to mind, right? But PB&J gets really boring, really fast. Here are some of my favorite bread stuffers, and some you can make in bulk. If you like you can wrap fillings in a tortilla, lettuce leaves or pita.
- egg salad, heavy on the mustard, light on the mayo, or mix in plain yogurt
- nut butters with honey and sliced jalapenos
- nut butters with bananas
- hummus, shredded carrots, sprouts and roasted red peppers
- curried salmon spread
- baked tofu or tempeh and greens
- melted cheese, sauerkraut, lettuce and BBQ sauce. Trust me this is good, if you like kraut.
- nut butters and trailmix. It's like an energy bar but better for you and cheaper
- tempeh, BBQ sauce mixed with nutritional yeast, and veggies
- meatloaf and veggies
Tired of sandwiches in general? Here are some more lunch to-go ideas:
- sesame pasta: noodles with sesame oil, tamari, ground flax seed, shredded cabbage and topped with a protein of your choice, such as tuna, chicken, tofu, tempeh, etc.
- curried pasta salad
- marinara and veggie pasta: cook 1 bag of pasta, 1 bag of tortillini. Mix with a jar of sauce, a bunch of veggies of your choice, and some ground flax seeds. (I add them to pretty much any pasta dish.)
- here's even more pasta salad recipes here!
During the cold, damp winter everyone wants something hot for lunch, especially if you're working outside! An investment in a thermos is a good idea. Just plan to heat your lunch in the morning and go. Fill that baby with:
Hope that helps! Feel free to share your favorite healthy food-to-go options too...