But I'm back! I've been running--make that jogging--by myself and with my friend Emily. And I'm really enjoying it! Emily and I are getting on a routine to do a half marathon in September.
What's different this time? Here are some personal tips to make running more fun/enjoyable:
- I'm running a bit slower than I did before: I'll work on speed after I master longer distances, just not a the same time.
- running solo plus running/checking in with a buddy: more fun, more accountability.
- setting a long term goal with small weekly goals along the way
- walking during my runs, and not feeling guilty about it!
- reading the Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer: a great book for those of us who don't consider us runners but want to be! ;-)
- stretching and massaging with my foam roller before and after runs, paying special attention to my calf muscles (these muscles are attached to your achilles tendons)
- cross training with pilates, cycling, walking, water aerobics, circuit training
- acupuncture treatments (this is another topic, but the treatments I'm getting increase my energy levels)
- tracking my runs on Mapmyrun.com
- having fun with it!
All of these ideas help me to listen to my body so I can (hopefully) avoid injury, have more fun with the training, and feel great. So far so good!
I'll be offering a Walk/Jog/Run class starting July 11 at Mt Tabor. Let me know if you'd like to take part in the fun!